12 June 2009

Knee-jerk reaction is spot-on


When I read yesterday in USA TODAY that Sammy Hagar had teamed up with Joe Satriani, Chad Smith and Michael Anthony to create a new "supergroup" (their words, not mine) named Chickenfoot, my first reaction was "Why?", quickly followed by "Good Lord, what a horrible idea."

The reaction was not just a response to what might possibly be the worst band name of all time. It's just that I don't think these guys have anything new to offer. And a quick listen (all I could handle was a quick listen) proved my knee-jerk reaction to be spot-on.

Satriani is a great guitarist, and I'd have to say he is the one true "star" of the group, even though the other members are likely better known by the public in general. But other than Satriani, it's a B-list group. Michael Anthony langushed in the shadow of David Lee Roth and the brothers Van Halen. Hagar was a decent solo artist, but he could never get Van Halen back to their Roth-era heights during his tenure as lead man for the group. Chad Smith also is a long-term replacement, following founding member Jack Irons as drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

So what you have is a bunch of under-the-radar old guys trying to ... well, I'm not sure what they're trying to do. I think the guys in this band, and the music listening public in general would be better served if Sammy and the gang went back to Cabo San Lucas and played weekends at Sammy's bar.

No comments: