02 July 2009

Stubbing it out after 25 years

With all the other positive change happening in my life, I've decided to make another: After more than 25 years, I've decided it's time to quit smoking.

The reasons for my decision are many, but the main one is this -- it's just time to do it. I've tried quitting a number of times before (with varying rates of success, but obviously never entirely successful) but I think why it never stuck before is because I was always quitting for someone else, and not for myself.

Now, however, I'm doing it for me because I want to, and not because someone is badgering me into it. I'm doing my research (looking at alternative and holistic cessation methods rather than popping pills) and I have a quit date set of August 4.

With luck, determination, hard work and self-control, perhaps R.J. Reynolds will have one less customer because I decided to quit and not because death took me off their mailing list.

1 comment:

Steph said...

GO FOR IT! And good for you. I wish I could get someone else I know to quit, but for the same reasons you mentioned, I know it is worthless for me to say anything. It has to come from him...