19 November 2009

NaNoWriMo Update: Days 17/18 -- Inertia Creeps

Daily Stats

Days 17/18 Word Quota: 2,500
Days 17/18 Words Written: 1,739
Cumulative Word Count: 26,826

A writer at rest tends to remain at rest

The events of Tuesday and Wednesday made be wonder if taking a break from writing is ever a good idea. I can see arguments on both sides, and I've still not made up my mind on the issue.

Because Jean was working from home on Tuesday, I scheduled the day as a planned non-writing day. To be honest, I was glad for the time off. I'd been busting my hump for six days straight, trying to get caught up on my cumulative word count while still maintaining some sembelance of a plot. My brain needed a rest, and I looked forward to taking a day off from Snakebit and NaNoWriMo.

I used the day to catch up on some housework, write some phase outlines (I apparently can't let a day go by without doing something for NaNoWriMo), and enjoy having my wife at home. It turned out to be a very productive and enjoyable day. I felt good, and all was right with the world. And for Wednesday, I anticipated picking up Snakebit with the same gusto I felt on Monday. I was on a roll, and ready to get back into action. Right?


Wednesday morning came, and the zeal with which I had written on Monday was just... gone. I couldn't seem to make myself sit down at the computer and type. I'd sit in front of the monitor, staring at the blank screen in front of me, waiting for the muse to strike.

For most of the day, she didn't show up.

Distractions and Sarah Palin

I was distracted most of the day, always finding something to keep me from writing. I was cold. I wanted to do something outside. The cats were being incredibly annoying, whether they were hanging tails and paws from the top of the monitor to hide the screen from me or snagging my chair any time I got up from the computer. My inner editor even popped in for a visit, asking me "why bother?" when I know that 50,00o words won't finish the book. Then I heard about Sarah Palin's visit to Birmingham, and that got me to toying with the idea of attending her book signing in true Hunter S. Thompson/gonzo style (I later dismissed this idea, remembering that I have no desire to be tasered by the Mountain Brook police).

What it boils down to is that I let inertia get hold of me. Not writing on Tuesday made me not want to write on Wednesday. Fortunately, I recognized this before it became a giant issue. I pressed on and made myself sit down in front of the computer, getting out 600 words out before I went in for my bar shift, and then knocking out 1,000 or so more after I got home.

I'll admit that I let Wednesday get away from me, and that I only finished a fraction of what I wanted to accomplish for the day. But the bright side, for me, is that I got something done, that I achieved something positive out of the day. It wasn't so long ago that I would have blown off such a day completely. But I didn't.

For that I am glad.

No comments: